Canoe, rowboat or sailboat . The steamboat
Evangel included Lummi Island on its itinerary in 1883.
Previous to that islanders would often hitch a ride with a Lummi
Native in a large cedar war canoe.
In the 1880's and 90's boat services were at
best periodic and often by chance.
Until a network of roads was built,
Lummi Island residents traveled the island on foot, by horse
and later by bicycle when the cannery workers introduced them.
In 1921, the automobile came to the island in the steamer, Imp owned
by Frank Wright of Carlisle Cannery. Shortly thereafter, Mr.
Wright also put his boat, the Carlisle, into service for
passengers traveling to Bellingham.
It wasn't long before a bus would travel around
the island then via the boat, to and from Bellingham. Islanders
could travel twice a day - in the summer. In 1923 the wood burning
Central ferry went into service with an hourly trips.
Once ferry services began there were many ups
and downs, private services and government services, until the
service settled into today's regular 6
Make your family's reservation TODAY, call:
Island Vacation Rentals
owned & operated by Seaside Lodging Northwest
Telephone: (360) 758-7064
or toll free (888) 758-7064
1695 Seacrest Drive, Lummi Island, WA 98262
Island Vacation Rentals Home index offers many select a waterfront properties.